Significance of SCO summit
It is significant for India as it focuses on political, economic and security issues in the Eurasian region... Read more
5 ‘I’ vision and G 20 summit
The 2019 summit has talked about various issues that are common to member nations and needed to be addressed.
What is G 20?
1. The G 20 (or Group of Twenty) is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union.
2. It was founded in 1999.
3. It brings together important industrialized and developing economies to discuss key issues in the global economy.
Where did the 2019 G 20 summit take place?
1. It took place in Osaka, Japan.
2. It was the 14th meeting of the G 20.
Who are the members of G20?
1. Group1: Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, United States.
2. Group 2: India, Russia, South Africa, Turkey.
3. Group 3: Argentina, Brazil, Mexico.
4. Group4: France, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom.
5. Group 5: China, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea.
6. European Union.
Which were the issues discussed at the summit?
1. It discussed 8 themes to ensure Global Sustainable Development: Global Economy, Trade and Investment, Innovation, Environment and Energy, Employment, Women’s Empowerment, Development and Health.
2. Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, attended the G 20 summit. He also held various bilateral and pluralist meetings at the summit.
3. The issues discussed in the summit are impacting India in a very large way.
4. India highlighted the threats of terrorism at the summit.
5. Issues related to Digitalization, data storage, rights to privacy of data and artificial intelligence were discussed.
6. 5 ‘I’s vision of Inclusiveness, Indigenization, Innovation, Investment in infrastructure & International Cooperation was given by the PM of India.
7. PM Modi talked about 5 ‘A’ s related to health: Access, Affordable, Appropriate, Accountable and Adaptable. He also talked about AYUSH and Ayushman Bharat (health care program) of India.
8. PM Modi invited the G 20 members to join the international coalition on disaster resilient infrastructure. Several members of the G 20 face natural disasters. India’s disaster management has progressed a lot and it has participated in neighboring nations like Nepal that had faced earthquake.