Graded Response Action Plan
Stricter measures will come into force to fight air pollution in Delhi’s neighbourhood... Read more
Climate centre at the Third pole
1. India Meteorological Department decided to collaborate with meteorological agencies in China and Pakistan to better gauge the impact of climate change on the Hindu Kush mountains.
2. A regional climate centre would be set up under the collaboration of these countries.
3. The centre would help to better forecast the impact on Hindu Kush mountains. The centre seeks to provide climate forecast services to countries in the region.
4. It will be set up under the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).
5. The centre would provide data services, training and capacity-building, research and development.
About the Third Pole
1. Hindu Kush Mountain region is known as the Third Pole of the world because of the huge amounts of ice exist there.
2. The HKH region spans Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
3. The region contains vast cryosphere regions. This is also the world’s largest store of snow and ice outside the polar region.
4. This region is the source of the 10 major river systems that provide irrigation, power and drinking water for over 1.3 billion people in Asia.
Image source- WEF
Need for actions
1. A recent report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change highlighted the threat to the HKH region from global warming.
2. Floods have become more frequent and severe in the region because of an increase in extreme precipitation events.
3. Many countries in this region are suffering serious water stress, while infrastructure projects such as dams are raising cross-border tensions.
Source- The Hindu