National Voter's Day
The election process and democracy have been maturing continuously in India... Read more
Defence Industrial Corridor
What is a Defence Industrial Corridor?
A Defence Industrial Corridor is a route or a path along which domestic productions of defence equipment by public sector, private sector and MSMEs are lined up to enhance the operational capability of the defence forces.
Who launched the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor?
Defence Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman launched a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor in Tiruchirppalli on 21st January 2019.
Which are the important features of this Corridor?
1. The Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor will include Chennai, Hosur, Salem and Coimbatore, Tiruchirappalli as the nodes.
2. This will ensure connectivity among various defence industrial units.
3. This will be the country's second defence industrial corridor after the first one was launched in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh in August 2018.
4. It will also create high-end employment opportunities for around 1,00,000 people in the state.
Why has Tamil Nadu been selected for this Corridor?
1. Chennai has focused on manufacturing sector.
2. Other nodal cities offer perfect ecosystem for defence manufacturing as major public sector companies like BHEL, Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project, Ordnance Factory and Railway workshops function in the region.
3. Automobile Industry can quickly gravitate into Aerospace and Defence standards.
How is it useful for the defence forces of the country?
1. This will ensure that the Indian industry can engage with Armed forces and co-create the best in defence technologies, especially through the flagship program of ‘Make in India’.
2. Since this is a green corridor, the industries which are non-polluting and technologically advanced will begin to move.
3. Development of these corridors will not only help in accelerated growth and regional industry agglomeration, but will also facilitate a well-planned and efficient industrial base which will lead to increased defence production in the country and the region.
4. This will also help the industry to integrate with the global supply chain of Defence manufacturing.
5. It will be a specialized facility of aero component manufacturing.