WTO Appellate Body
It is a standing body of seven persons that hears appeals from reports issued by Dispute Settlement body for the disputes brought by WTO Members. ... Read more
Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery
Prelims- Environment, Mains -GS3- Disaster Management
India is unanimously chosen as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020.
1. It is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change.
2. GFDRR is a grant-funding mechanism, managed by the World Bank, that supports disaster risk management projects worldwide.
3. It is presently working on the ground with over 400 local, national, regional, and international partners and provides knowledge, funding, and technical assistance.
India and GFDRR
1. India became a member of CG of GFDRR in 2015 and expressed its interest to co-chair in the last meeting of CG.
2. India’s candidature was backed by its consistent progress in disaster risk reduction (DRR) in the country and its initiative to form a coalition on disaster resilient infrastructure.
3. This will give India an opportunity to work with the member countries and organizations of GFDRR with a focused contribution towards advancing the disaster risk reduction agenda during the course of the year.
4. Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (DRI) will be a central theme of engagement with the GFDRR partners and stakeholders.