WTO Ministerial Meeting
The WTO Ministerial Meeting of Developing Countries was held in New Delhi... Read more
Global Initiative to Combat Online Terrorism
What is 'Christchurch call for action' initiative?
1. India joined France, New Zealand, Canada and several other countries recently in launching a major initiative in Paris to combat terrorism and extremism online and secure the Internet.
2. The initiative known as 'Christchurch call for action' has been named after the New Zealand city where 51 people were killed in an attack on mosques.
3. Representatives of online giants like Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook and Amazon also attended the meeting.
Why is this initiative significant?
1. It is a historical step in the governance of Internet.
2. Internet is not immune from abuse by terrorist and violent extremist actors, and there is a need for collective efforts globally to secure the Internet from terror groups.
3. The Christchurch attack highlighted the urgent need for action and enhanced cooperation among the wide range of actors with influence over this issue, including governments, civil society, and online service providers, such as social media companies, to eliminate terrorist and violent extremist content online.
4. The social media giants have committed to a range of platform-specific and Forum-wide efforts to better tackle terrorist abuse of open platforms, including exploring artificial intelligence and machine learning to accelerate the identification of terrorist content.
Which are the important features of this initiative?
1. The initiative outlines voluntary commitments from governments and online service providers intended to address the issue of terrorist and violent extremist content online and to prevent the abuse of the Internet.
2. This will also encourage media outlets to apply ethical standards when depicting terrorist events online, to avoid amplifying terrorist and violent extremist content.
3. It will implement immediate and effective measures to mitigate the specific risks of disseminating terrorist and violent extremist content through live streaming, including identification of content for real-time review.
4. It will also help to counter the drivers of terrorism and violent extremism by strengthening the resilience and inclusiveness of societies.
5. The countries expressed commitment to ensure effective enforcement of applicable laws that prohibit the production or dissemination of terrorist and violent extremist content, in a manner consistent with the rule of law and international human rights law, including freedom of expression.
How will this initiative help India?
1. India has been a victim of terrorism for a very long time.
2. Regional initiatives by India to combat online terrorist threats will also get support from other nations.
Responses to terrorism must be similar across geographies and cultures and differential standards must not be accepted.