Ease of Doing Business
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade has released the ease of doing business rankings for Indian states... Read more
Mains -GS3- Environment, Mains -GS1- Geography
1. The Northern hemisphere experienced its warmest summer on record in 2020.
2. Entire planet Earth experienced the 3rd hottest 3-month season and the second-warmest August.
3. Average global land and ocean surface temperature in August was 0.94 degrees Celsius (°C) above the 20th-century average of 15.6°C.
Selected significant climate anomalies and events in August 2020
1. Increased melting rates for ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland, wildfires in California, US and Siberia, Russia and the collapse of Canada’s last ice shelf.
2. The Arctic region faced the largest decline in sea ice and also warmed at twice the rate as the rest of the world because of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.
3. In India western disturbances resulted in heavy rain in summer, that resulted in early locust attacks in Rajasthan and spread as far as Chhattisgarh for the first time in decades.
1. The increased rate of warming was due to a phenomenon called Arctic amplification.
2. Melting ice hastened the process of warming by exposing areas poor at reflecting heat back into the atmosphere, creating a feedback loop between melting ice and rising temperatures.
Source: Down To Earth