CDM and India
Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) is a market instrument that can help the industry as well as climate... Read more
Mains-GS 2-International Relations
1. 19th Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) meeting is scheduled to be organized at Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
2. The theme is ‘Promoting a Shared Destiny and Path to Prosperity in the Indian Ocean.’
3. United Arab Emirates will take over from South Africa as IORA Chairman for a two-year period till 2021.
1. It is an inter-governmental organization established in 1997, inspired by remarks of Nelson Mandela.
2. It is aimed at strengthening regional cooperation and sustainable development within the Indian Ocean region through its 22 Member States and dialogue partners.
3. All sovereign States of the Indian Ocean Rim are eligible for membership of the Association. They should adhere to the charter of IORA.
4. India is a member of the organization.
5. The Secretariat of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) is hosted by the Government of Mauritius.
Priority and focus areas
1. Maritime safety and security
2. Trade and investment facilitation
3. Fisheries management
4. Disaster Risk Management
5. Tourism and cultural exchanges
6. Academic, science and technology
7. Blue Economy
8. Women’s Economic Empowerment
Significance of Indian Ocean
1. At present, the Indian Ocean has maritime trade routes that carry around half of the world’s container ships, one-third of the world’s bulk cargo traffic and two-thirds of world oil shipments.
2. It provides the predominant outlet for oil from the Persian Gulf to various destinations all over the world. The Malacca Strait is a critical point for the trade.
3. This makes the region an important lifeline for global trade and transport. Nearly 2.7 billion people live in countries bordering the ocean.
4. The region surrounding the Indian Ocean is rich in cultural diversity and richness in languages, religions, traditions, arts, and cuisines.
Source- The Hindu and AIR News website