Impact of Rural Tourism on Rural Economy
Rural tourism provides a way for economic development apart from agriculture... Read more
Interest in Rural Tourism
What is rural tourism?
1. It showcases the rural life, art, culture, and heritage of rural locations, thereby benefitting the local community, economically and socially.
2. It also enables interaction between the tourists and the locals for a more enriching tourism experience.
3. It takes place in the countryside.
4. It is multi-faceted and may entail farm/agricultural tourism, cultural tourism, nature tourism, adventure tourism, and eco-tourism.
5. It has typical characteristics like it is experience oriented, the locations are sparsely populated, it is predominantly in a natural environment, it meshes with essentiality and local events and is based on preservation of culture, heritage, and tradition.
Which are the major types of rural tourism in India?
1. Agricultural tourism- To explore how farmers work with crops and about the agricultural industry.
2. Cultural tourism- To allow tourists to be immersed in local culture-related activities, like rituals and festivals.
3. Nature tourism- Responsible travel to natural areas, which conserves the environment and improves the welfare of local people.
4. Adventure tourism- Any constructive activity, which tests the endurance of both a person and his equipment to its extreme limit.
5. Food Routes- Where wanderlust meets the variety that persists in the cuisine.
6. Community Eco-tourism- It is tourism with a purpose. It is responsible travel to natural areas that conserve the environment and improves well being of local people.
7. Ethno-tourism- Expands the horizon to view different cultures. It is to know more about various ethnic and cultural lifestyles.
Why rural tourism has to be promoted?
1. Rural tourism helps to garner knowledge of agriculture, farming, local governance, etc.
2. It helps to remove myths about a rural lifestyle that may exist in urban minds like villages are unhygienic, rural life is unsafe, etc.
3. It helps a person to explore the vast diversity in the interiors of India.
How is rural tourism beneficial?
1. It could provide jobs to many young men and women who otherwise are increasingly migrating to cities.
2. It has the potential of establishing medium and small enterprises.
3. It can promote local production, education, art and architecture, community self-esteem and pride, heritage and nature conservation.
4. It can revive many of the arts and crafts traditionally being practiced in the rural communities but dying a slow death.
5. It can create new infrastructure/ superstructure, helps to maintain local services and facilities.
6. It boosts women’s empowerment and provides young /agriculturalist livelihood diversification.
7. Socially, it can open a rural mindset to new thoughts and ideas from the outside world.
8. For the urban citizen, a few days spent amidst traditional rural lifestyle may prove to be a great stress reliever.