Fiscal Federalism in Covid-19
The Central government has adopted ‘Cooperative Federalism’ to fight the battle against Covid-19. ... Read more
One Nation One Ration Card
What is One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC) initiative?
1. The initiative allows all National Food Security Act (NFSA) beneficiaries, particularly migrant beneficiaries, to claim either full or part food grains from any Fair Price Shop (FPS) in the country through the existing ration card in a seamless manner.
2. The system also allows their family members back home to claim the balance food grains on same ration card.
Which are the key highlights of the scheme?
1. A beneficiary centric initiative in the country
2. A technology and data driven system for nation-wide portability of ration cards under NFSA.
3. Empowering NSFA Migrants with seamless food security, anywhere in the country.
4. Ration card details and entitlements are available online on any ePoS (Point of Sale) in the country.
5. Includes both Inter-State and Intra-State portability of ration cards. It is enabled by
a. Digitalisation of ration cards
b. Aadhar seeding of ration cards
c. ePOS Devices at the FPSs
d. Biometric authentication of beneficiaries.
How is ‘Mera Ration’ mobile app beneficial?
1. It has been launched by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
2. The app would help the beneficiaries in finding a nearest ration shop/ fair price shop as per their location.
3. They can also check the various other details related to items, categories, transactions, entitlements, etc.
4. The app would extend the benefits of One Nation One Ration Card of the Government.
Where has ONORC scheme proved helpful during the Covid situation?
1. ONORC has provided value-added service to each NFSA beneficiary during the Covid-19 pandemic.
2. It allowed the migrants to avail the benefits of subsidised food grains with flexibility from any location where they were during the lockdown/crisis period.