Health and Environmental Benefits of Organic Farming
Organic agriculture aims to sustain and enhance the health of soil, plant, animal, human and planet as one and indivisible... Read more
Why organic farming now?
1. The organic farming system in India is not new and is being followed from ancient time.
2. The Green Revolution and the subsequent phenomenal increase in grain productivity had a far-reaching impact.
3. It led to an overuse of fertilizers and pesticides, which however decreased the fertility of the soil gradually.
4. Therefore, it was compelling for farmers to opt for organic farming as a holistic production management system favourable to environment and sustainable agriculture.
What are the features of organic farming?
1. It is generally associated with back to nature movement.
2. It stays away from chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
3. It seeks to increase soil fertility by feeding soils with residues such as garbage compost and sewage, manure, plant residues, food processing wastes, etc.
4. In the present time, organic farming is an alternative modern system of production, which relies solely on biological processes to obtain high quality produce.
Which techniques are used in organic farming?
1. It involves various techniques which are eco-friendly and enhance the fertility of the soil.
2. Crop rotation is a technique used for growing different crops in the same area according to the seasons to avoid pests and to maintain soil fertility.
3. Use of green manures such as plant leaves and waste material of plants.
4. Biological pest control uses living organisms to protect plants from pests instead of synthetic chemicals.
5. Vermicomposting is a process of composting using different worms for preparation of compost with a mix of kitchen waste and other vegetable waste.
How to promote organic farming in India?
1. Adopting strategies like branding support from the professionals to Farmer Producer Companies to brand their products like wild coffee, tribal honey etc. for enhancing their value and organic certification.
2. This will permit a farm to sell, label and symbolize their products as organic and thereby build trust among users.
3. Retailing, packaging and labeling of organic products are also vital components in the promotion of organic products.
4. The market of organic produce is considered as a premium market which maintains high standards.
5. These are to be adhered to in the entire value chain of the product right from crop planning to production and post-production.
Where does the future lie for organic farming in India?
India has the potential to become a major organic agricultural country due to these reasons:
1. The international demand for the farm products.
2. Different agro-climatic regions for the cultivation of a number of crops.
3. The size of the domestic market.
4. Long tradition of environment friendly farming and living.
Thus, India has a wide scope for increasing organic practices to achieve sustainable development of agriculture.