US-China trade war
The World Economy could enter into a recession within the next three quarters... Read more
PM-JAY to cover Cancer
Mains- GS-2-Social Justice, Prelims-Miscellaneous
1. Cancer treatments will soon be covered under the Ayushman Bharat Yojana- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).
2. This is a Central Government’s health insurance scheme that aims to give medical cover to over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families of approximately 50 crore beneficiaries, providing coverage of up to ₹5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
Impact of Cancer
1. According to the World Health Organisation, the rate of mortality due to cancer in India is high.
2. Cancer is the second-most common disease in India, responsible for maximum mortality, with about 0.3 million deaths per year.
3. The estimated number of people living with the disease stands at around 2.25 million, with over 11 lakh new cancer patients registered each year.
4. In India, the risk of developing cancer before the age of 75 years for males stands at 9.81% and females at 9.42%.
5. The risk of dying from cancer before the age of 75 years stood at 7.34% in males and 6.28% in females.
6. Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer in India, followed by breast cancer and oral cancers.
Necessity for inclusion
1. In India, cancer treatment is very expensive.
2. Cancer care costs were causing a massive financial crisis among people and many had to go without treatment.
3. The Ayushman Bharat Yojana is now planning to include all types of cancers and their treatment under its healthcare packages.
Source: The Hindu