India and the Gulf region
India mainly imports oil from the Gulf region... Read more
1. The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet recently approved the Commissionerate system of policing for state capital Lucknow, and Noida.
2. The system gives more responsibilities, including magisterial powers to IPS officers of Inspector General of Police (IG) rank posted as commissioners.
3. Under the 7th Schedule of the Constitution, ‘Police’ is under the State list. It means individual states typically legislate and exercise control over this subject.
4. Generally ‘dual system’ of control exists at the district and metropolitan level. Superintendent of Police (SP) has to work with the District Magistrate (DM) for supervising police administration.
5. In the Commissionerate system, the Commissioner of Police (CP) is the head of a unified police command structure.
6. He is responsible for the force in the city and is accountable to the state government. The office also has magisterial powers including those related to regulation, control, and licensing.
7. The CP is drawn from the Deputy Inspector General rank or above and is assisted by Special/Joint/Additional/Deputy Commissioners.
8. Previously, only four cities had the system- Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Chennai. However, there are 53 cities with this system by 2016.
Source- Indian Express
Statue of Unity
Prelims-History, Art and Culture
1. Recently Statue of Unity in Gujarat has been included in the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation's '8 Wonders of SCO' list.
2. The 'Statue of Unity' is the world's tallest statue with the height of 182m. The statue was inaugurated in October 2018.
3. It is a monumental tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. He was independent India's first home minister as well as deputy prime minister.
4. The statue is situated on the isle of Sadhu-Bet. It is located between the Mountain Ranges of Vindhyachal and Satpura.
4. The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance. The eight-member states of the SCO are
Source- Livemint and The Hindu
1. Recently ‘Raisina Dialogue’ has been inaugurated recently in New Delhi. The fifth edition of the conference will host 700 participants from more than 100 countries.
2. The Raisina Dialogue is a multilateral conference committed to addressing the most challenging issues facing the global community.
3. The title of the Raisina Dialogue this year is “Navigating the Alpha Century”.
4. The conference is hosted by the Observer Research Foundation in collaboration with the Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs.
5. The Raisina Dialogue is an inclusive and diverse forum with participants from across a range of backgrounds.
Source- The Hindu
Integrated Road Accident Database
1. Government of India has launched a central accident database management system known as ‘Integrated Road Accident Database (IRAD).
2. The platform will help in analysing causes of road crashes and in devising safety interventions to reduce such accidents in the country.
3. The portal has been developed by the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) and will be implemented by the National Informatics Centre.
4. The project is being supported by the World Bank. The system will be first piloted in the six States with highest fatalities from road crashes,
b) Madhya Pradesh
d) Tamil Nadu
e) Uttar Pradesh
5. The IRAD mobile application will enable police personnel to enter details about a road accident along with photos and videos. Then, the unique ID will be created for the incident.
6. Road users will also be able to upload data on road accidents on a separate mobile application.
7. India sees the largest number of road fatalities in the world. More than 1.5 lakh people lost their lives in road crashes in the country in 2018.
Source- The Hindu
The Giant tortoise
1. The Giant tortoise named Diego from Galapagos National Park has been called off from the captive breeding program.
2. He is a member of ‘Chelonoidis hoodensis species.’ Diego will be returned to his home in Española Island from where it was taken to the captive breeding program.
3. The species is native to Española Island in the Galápagos. Introduction of Diego in the park has resulted in s significant rise in the number of tortoises.
4. IUCN status- The species belonging to these species are declared as ‘Critically Endangered (CR)’.
Source- Indian Express