Indian Constitution, an important regulatory document acquired added significance, particularly on 26 January 1950. ... Read more
Indian Constitution, an important regulatory document acquired added significance, particularly on 26 January 1950.
How significant is the Constitution of India?
1. The Constitution is taught at various levels of learning: schools, colleges and universities.
2. The Constitution is invoked at the oath-taking ceremony of ministers at both central as well as state levels.
3. This demonstrates the moral commitment of the top-ranking government officials to the Constitution.
Why mass oath-taking is done?
1. Mass oath-taking ceremonies are taking place through several protests and are being organized at various places.
2. Citizens have chosen this sacred path of oath-taking to confirm their commitment to the universal principles that are enshrined in the Constitution.
3. Oath-taking is also directed at those government institutions that are failing in their constitutional duty to strengthen democratic traditions in the country.
What are the features of mass oath-taking?
1. Oath-taking involves a particular kind of promise to follow the constitutional mandate and perform the function according to such a mandate.
2. Oath-taking has acquired a mass character by moving out from the regimented institutional premises to the streets of many Indian cities.
3. It is adopted as a moral statement or an ethical injunction to remind officials to follow the constitutional principles.
4. The protest for inclusive citizenship has taken the moral initiative without waiting for someone else to give it a start.
5. Mass oath-taking is based on the moral force of self-respect.
6. This collective oath-taking as a moral drive is increasingly encouraging the formation of constitutional communities.
7. Taking oaths for showing commitment to the Constitution lends bigger support to the process of creating and strengthening democratic consciousness among people.
Which way is promissory constitutionalism ensured?
1. The possibility of constitutional communities promises to bind the constitutional being or supporters of the Constitution to gather more determination.
2. Constitutional communities also could safeguard the sacred oaths from hypocrisy.
3. Taking oaths for the Constitution involves a promise to democracy and the creation of constitutional communities.
4. The mass oaths are an expression of constitutional aspiration of guarantee for people protesting in the country.
5. Oaths for Constitutions suggest a possibility of keeping the promise right on the top of constitutional consciousness.
6. These new initiatives are an expression of promissory constitutionalism.
7. Public discourse on the Constitution emphasizes on the promise for a better future through oath-taking.