Significance of G 7 Summit
It is an intergovernmental economic organization consisting of 7 large advanced economies of the world... Read more
SANKALP to Enhance Skill Development
Union Skill Development Ministry has launched the program SANKALP.
What is SANKALP?
1. SANKALP (Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood) aims to implement the mandate of the National Skill Development Mission.
2. Skill development among youngsters is stressed upon to enable them to be potentially better off in the job market.
3. SANKALP has a total project size of $675 million, including World Bank assistance of $500 million, in two tranches of $250 million each.
Which are the key areas identified under SANKALP?
Under SANKALP four key result areas have been identified:
1. Institutional Strengthening (at National, State & District level).
2. Quality Assurance of skill development program.
3. Inclusion of the marginalized population in skill development.
4. Expanding Skills through Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs).
How is India performing in skill development?
1. India has strengthened the basic framework of the National Skill Development Mission and other schemes.
2. There is now a well-established system of sector skill councils, job roles, placement links and a decent livelihood.
3. Other ministries have also become a part of skill development, which were earlier involved in imparting training to the youth on an individual basis.
4. MSMEs are also playing a major role in skill development.
Urban and Rural Level
1. Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana and every district and Parliamentary constituency has one Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK), a Public-Private Partnership ITI.
2. There are five or six courses mapped to the local industry requirement.
3. There are about 550 PMKK established in the country at present.
4. Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana has been announced by the Ministry of Rural Development, which is a part of the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM), tasked with the dual objectives of adding diversity to the incomes of rural poor families and cater to the career aspirations of rural youth.
1. Ministry of HRD is involved in vocationalization of school education. 16-17 states are already a part of it.
2. From classes 9th to class 12th, there is one subject for vocational training apart from conventional subjects.
Performance of States
1. There are left wing extremist areas, special areas and some are a combination of both.
2. Under the schemes like Skill India, there is a special focus on people from vulnerable groups such as women, special groups from geographical areas (such as North-East states, Jammu and Kashmir)
3. But a better collaboration on ground level is required to include these groups.
Why do clusters need attention?
1. There is a demand for a certain kind of skill because of the nature of the growth of a local industry in a particular area such as leather industry in Kanpur, silk in Varanasi etc.
2. Traditionally, local youth in these areas have provided manpower for these industries but over the time, youth are not interested in that traditional industry.
3. They want more fulfilling jobs as these local industries have not kept pace with the technology, emerging markets and consumer preferences.
4. So, cluster led skill development is important to train local youths for local jobs.
Where does SANKALP focus?
1. There is a focus on skilling youth in easy to get job roles such as data entry, mobile repair courses, apparel, textiles, retail, etc. in short term. At the end of this course, there is a third-party certification leading to job and livelihood.
2. It is decentralizing some of the efforts and is working at district levels.
3. It is ensuring that there is inclusion of marginalized sections such as SC/ST, women and PWDs.
4. Strengthening the trainer ecosystem is also considered as output depends on the input.
5. All UTs and states have agreed to participate in SANKALP through Public-Private Partnerships, district-level plans and participate with ministries.
6. It aims to involve almost all stakeholders for its success.