Shape of sanctions: on U.S. waiver on Chabahar port
India will need to continue to find alternatives to its offtake from Iran... Read more
Scientists rebuff Harvard ‘alien spacecraft’ theory
Prelims- Science & Technology
A scientific paper led by two researchers at Harvard University has claimed that a cigar-shaped rock zooming through our solar system may have been sent by aliens.
1. Oumuamua, the first interstellar object known to enter our solar system
2. It is accelerated faster away from the sun than expected
3. The notion that some kind of artificial sail that runs on sunlight — known as a light sail
4. Currently, there is an unexplained phenomenon, namely, the excess acceleration of Oumuamua, which we show may be explained by the force of radiation pressure from the sun.
5. However, this requires the body to have a very large surface and be very thin.
Source: The Hindu.