Demographic Dividend and Rural Youth
India has a favorable demographic dividend as it has more than 65% of population below the age of 35 years... Read more
Skilling youths through Surya Mitra
The energy received from the Sun in the form of radiant light and heat is harnessed using technologies like solar heating, photovoltaics, solar thermal energy, etc.
What India aims to achieve in the field of Solar Energy?
1. As a part of its solar targets, India intends to achieve the target of 100 GW from Solar Energy by 2022. Its solar installed capacity has already reached 25.21GW as of 31 December 2018.
2. India is also the founder of International Solar Alliance. Under this, the tropical countries will work for efficient exploration of solar energy to reduce the consumption of fossil fuels.
How the Skill India programme is helping in achieving solar targets of India?
1. Skill India is a flagship program of Government of India launched in 2015 to create 500 million skilled manpower by 2020.
2. Skills enable youth to make critical decisions, solve problems, develop new things and finally become assets for organizations.
3. National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) under the Renewable energy sector is responsible for executing various skill development programmes in the field of the renewable energy sector.
4. “Surya Mitra” skill development programmes are organized by National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) in collaboration with State Nodal Agencies and executed by institutes like universities, polytechnics, ITIs, etc. It is sponsored by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India.
5. Surya Mitra program is funded completely by Union Government.
6. “Surya Mitra” training program by NISE provides skilled technicians for installation, commissioning, operation, and maintenance in the field of solar technology. They are able to work on solar photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Who is eligible under Surya Mitra programme?
1. This program provides employability and entrepreneurship to rural and urban youths. It is a part of “Make in India” initiative.
2. Candidates with ITI (Electrical & Wireman) / Diploma in Engineering (Electrical, Electronics & Mechanical) can participate in the Surya Mitra program.
Which are the benefits of Surya Mitra mobile App?
1. This high-end technology platform will enhance the employment opportunities of trained youth in solar PV technology and improve the businesses of solar entrepreneurs.
2. Lakhs of off-grid systems installed under the NABARD scheme of Off-grid solar PV system require skilled manpower. Surya Mitra mobile App can be used for the purpose.
3. The App will also help in operation and maintenance of solar pumps and solar water heater systems.
Why is skilling important?
1. Due to Skilling India and Surya Mitra programme, requirement of solar companies of skilled manpower to provide quality service to their customers will be fulfilled.
2. As per International Energy Agency, “the development of affordable, inexhaustible and clean solar energy technologies will increase countries’ energy security, enhance sustainability, reduce pollution, lower the costs of mitigating global warming, and keep fossil fuels prices lower”. Thus, steps like Surya Mitra programme are important.