UDAN - Giving new meaning to air connectivity
It is a regional airport development and Regional Connectivity Scheme... Read more
What are the essential requirements for living in a city/ town?
1. Affordable house for living
2. Electricity connection
3. Sanitation facilities
4. Modes of transport by roads and highways, rail and airport needed for daily movement or going outstations
5. Schools for education
6. Hospitals for medical needs, etc.
Why is infrastructure development necessary?
1. Infrastructure is the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country. They are a crucial factor in the economic development of a nation.
2. It consists of hard infrastructure (roads, bridges, railways, etc) and soft infrastructure that maintain the economic, health, social and cultural standards of a nation.
3. Lack of infrastructure was observed as a significant limitation to economic growth and achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
4. Infrastructure development is considered to be the key to the life of a common man.
Which are the government initiatives aimed at the development of infrastructure?
a) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is an initiative launched in 2015.
b) It aims at providing affordable housing to the urban poor with a target of building 20 million affordable housing by 31 March 2022.
c) It was converged with other schemes to ensure facilities like toilet, Saubhagya Yojana electricity connection, Ujjawala Yojana LPG connection, access to drinking water, Jan Dhan banking facilties, etc.
a) Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) is a scheme designed to provide continuous power supply to rural India (rural households and agricultural consumers).
b) The Saubhagya Scheme/ Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana is an Indian Government scheme to provide electricity to all willing households in both rural and urban areas.
3. Smart Cities:
a) Its objective is to create cities with better civic amenities or improved infrastructure and also create inclusive and collaborative cities for transforming the lives of the people.
b) The interest in smart cities has generated as a result of major technological, economic and environmental changes. Smart cities develop both physical infrastructure and information technologies.
4. Education and Health:
Creation of infrastructure in various fields like education, health, etc. has been the main focus of the Government. Schemes like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Ayushman Bharat, etc are examples.
5. Roads and highways:
a) The Bharatmala scheme aims at creating improved road and highway infrastructure.
b) It is both enabler and beneficiary of other schemes like Sagarmala, Dedicated Freights corridor, Industrial corridors, UDAN-RCS, BharatNet, Digital India and Make in India.
6. Railways and waterways:
A big push is given to transformational changes in rail infrastructure and development of inland waterways.
7. Air travel:
The UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik) seeks to make the air travel affordable for the common man in small cities.
How these schemes will make an impact?
1. Creating facilities for the common man through improved infrastructure has been the key focus of the Government of India.
2. The various schemes and programmes will go a long way in the process of transforming the lives of the citizens and ensuring all-round progress of the nation.