It has the potential to cause widespread damage in Odisha and neighboring states... Read more
UN designates Masood Azhar as global terrorist
Mains- GS-2-International Relations
1. Masood Azhar is the chief of Jaish-e-Mohammad, a terrorist organisation responsible for terror attacks including the latest Pulwama attack .
2. He was listed as a designated terrorist by the UN Security Council 1267 Committee.
What is the significance of this move for India?
1. It is a victory for India’s decade-old diplomatic battle at the UNSC.
2. The listing would mean a travel ban, arms embargo and asset freeze on Azhar.
3. This demonstrated the international community’s resolve to fight against terrorism and its enablers.
4. This is in accordance with India’s position and in line with the information that India has shared with the members of the Sanctions Committee regarding terrorist activities of Masood Azhar and the JeM.
5. It will further India’s efforts in international forums to ensure that terrorist organisations and their leaders are brought to justice.
Who else has helped in this move?
1. The P-3 or group of three permanent UNSC members, the U.S., the U.K. and France, had co-sponsored a listing request at the Committee after the Pulwama attack that killed over 40 security personnel.
2. U.S. circulated a draft resolution to sanction Azhar among the UNSC members, i.e., outside the 1267 Committee
3. This was done to pressure China into either supporting the listing or risk being seen as supporting terror.
4. The listing was a result of diplomacy by many partners and took concerns from all countries on board.
5. U.S. was key to pushing it through, aided by the U.K. and France, while Indonesia played an important role as the Chairperson of the UN Security Council.
Which were the reasons mentioned for listing?
1. The reasons for listing did not mention the Pulwama attack of February 14 for which the JeM had claimed responsibility.
2. The reasons for designating Azhar as a terrorist included:
a. Support for the JeM since its founding
b. Being associated with the al-Qaeda by recruiting for them and
c. Participating in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing, or perpetrating of acts or activities or supplying, selling or transferring arms and related material.
d. It also pointed to his role in recruiting fighters in Afghanistan.
3. The JeM itself was sanctioned by the 1267 Committee in 2001.
Why was Pulwama not mentioned?
1. Pulwama happened to be the latest act of terror .
2. The Security Council had condemned the Pulwama attack and asked all states, without naming any, to cooperate with India and combat threats to international peace.
3. The designation was not based on a specific incident but on the basis of evidence shared with members of the 1267 Sanctions Committee linking Masood Azhar to terrorism.
Source: The Hindu